Happy Thanksgiving! What better way to give thanks to your furry friends than making them this low cal, hypoallergenic treat for dinner. Now your dog can indulge in some yummy turkey today too!
Turkey is an excellent option for pets with food allergies. Sweet potato has long been regarded as a superfood and in particular provides high levels of vitamin A. Sweet potato also has a low glycaemic index and adds a slightly sweet flavour to food.
These balls are ideal as an accompaniment to your dog’s regular diet. On their own they are not a complete balanced food, but they provide the recommended ratio of protein, carbohydrates and fats. Serve up 3-5 balls with your dog’s regular food for some tasty variety.
Learn more about sweet potato here.
Makes approx. 20 Balls.
500g lean turkey mince (you can also use leftover cooked turkey)
1 medium sweet potato
250g frozen peas, thawed
1 Tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Peel and slice sweet potato into 1cm rounds and steam for 7 minutes. Steaming locks in the nutrients better than boiling or roasting, but feel free to use whatever method suits you better.
3. Mash the sweet potato, then mix in remaining ingredients.
4. Roll mixture into small balls, a little smaller than golf balls.
5. Place balls onto a baking tray, sprayed with non-stick oil.
6. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
7. Freeze in small portions. Allow to cool before serving.