As Summer brings with it a bloom of fabulous flora and fauna, the great outdoors can also be hazardous to our four-legged friends with our back gardens causing more problems than we might think. With many of us turning more green-fingered as the sun emerges, if you have an excited dog, you may need to take caution with what you plant in and around your home.
Although the majority of natural greenery around our houses is dog-friendly, some plants can lead to toxicity in our canine companions leaving them in a painful pickle and us a nasty unexpected trip to the vets. Keeping an eye on these pesky plants around your home and even out on walks can ensure your furry friend is safe all Summer long.
From troublesome tummies to limp limbs, treading and ingesting some problematic plants can leave your four-legged friend in a whole world of pain. With Summer bringing a blossom of toxic plants, here’s some of the most likely frightful flora you and your furry friend need to keep an eye when the weather begins to warm.
Synonymous with Spring, these yellow headed flowers can cause severe problems for your furry friend if ingested or even touched. Containing high levels of troublesome toxins, the bulbs are the most dangerous for canine companions. However, the flowers and even water from a vase filled with daffodils can cause levels of poisoning to your dog. It is the toxins produced by the plant that induce severe upset stomachs leading to vomiting and diarrhea and even in severe cases heart and respiratory problems.
As growing our own fruit and vegetables is on the increase across Britain, Summer is the ideal time to get out those gloves and plant tomato seeds and plants for salads and salsas from the comfort of our home. However, the nightshade plant, connected to the pepper and tomato family can be highly toxic to our furry friends and need urgent medical attention.
Symptoms of Nightshade toxicity may include mouth dryness, muscle twitching, fever and even increase heart rate. The Nightshade plant sprouts purple flowers and berries and if ingested, veterinary advice must be sought immediately.
Despised by gardeners and garden lovers around the world, these pesky plants don’t just cause issues for our garden's appearance but can also prove dangerous to our furry friends. Canada Thistle, a common weed found in highly lawned areas, sprouting needles (much like a nettle) that once stepped on can cause pain and irritation for both humans and animals.
Despite their strong paw pads, standing on a Canada Thistle can cause redness, soreness and itching for our dogs leading to excessive licking and even limping. Remove the plants from your garden is the best way to prevent this but if your dog does step on a nettle-like plant, simply wash with an anti-bacterial spray and leave to rest.
Just some simple changes and keep a close eye on our pooch when out and about means you both can have a splendid Summer without any danger at all.